Korean fishcakes with fried eggs & spicy salsa
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
For the fishcakes
- 4 x loch trout or rainbow trout fillets, skinned and cut into 1cm/ 1/2in pieces (about 450g/1lb fish)
- 2 tsp finely grated ginger
- 1 fat garlic clove , crushed
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- bunch spring onions , thinly sliced
- 1 large egg white , beaten until frothy
- 2 tbsp rice flour
- 2 ½ tbsp vegetable oil , for frying
For the salad
- 1 pointed or small white cabbage , cored and finely shredded (about 350g/12oz)
- 100g radishes , thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Chinese rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil , plus 2 tsp to serve
- 1 tsp gochujang , plus 2 top to serve (see tip)
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 garlic clove , crushed
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 4 medium eggs
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds , toasted
- 1 red chilli , finely sliced, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
For the fishcakes, mix the fish with the ginger, garlic, soy and half the spring onions. Stir in the egg white and rice flour.
- STEP 2
Toss the cabbage and radishes with the vinegar, 1 tbsp sesame oil, 1 tsp gochujang, the sugar and garlic. Set aside. Stir together the remaining sesame oil, gochujang and the soy sauce to make a drizzling sauce for later.
- STEP 3
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large, non-stick frying pan. Split the fish mixture into eight, then spoon four into the pan, pressing the mix to make cakes about 8cm across. Fry for 2 mins each side until just cooked through and golden. Add another 1 tbsp oil to the pan and repeat with the remaining fish. Keep warm in a low oven.
- STEP 4
Add the remaining oil to the pan. Fry the eggs for 2-3 mins until crisp but with a runny yolk. Serve the fishcakes with the cabbage, and top with the egg and sesame seeds. Scatter with the rest of the spring onions, red chilli (if using) and some of the chilli sesame drizzle.