Katsu curry sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil or vegetable oil
- 2 onions , chopped
- 2 large carrots , chopped, plus 1 peeled into ribbons
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- thumb-sized piece ginger , peeled and grated or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder , mild or medium depending on your spice tolerance
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 tsp maple syrup or honey
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a pan, cook the onions and chopped carrots until the onions are soft and starting to caramelise, about 8 mins. Add the garlic and ginger and sizzle for another 30 secs, then stir in the curry powder and turmeric. Once the spices are warmed through, add the coconut milk, maple syrup or honey and 100ml water. Season well, cover and simmer over a low heat for 20 mins.
- STEP 2
When the onions and carrots in the curry sauce are soft, blitz using a hand or table-top blender. If the sauce is too thick, add a little more water, check the seasoning, adding more salt, maple syrup or some lime juice, if you like. Keep warm.
- STEP 3
Serve over rice with chicken katsu or tofu.