Italian cottage pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus 4 hours for the beef stew
- Serves 4
- 700g floury potatoes , sliced
- 25g butter
- 50g grated parmesan
- 140g pancetta or streaky bacon, cut into strips
- 2 oregano sprigs, leaves stripped, or 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ quantity beef with red wine & carrots (see 'Goes well with')
- STEP 1
First make the Beef with red wine & carrots (see 'Goes well with'). You will need half the finished stew for this recipe.
- STEP 2
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water for 10 mins until almost done. Drain well, then mix with the butter and half the Parmesan.
- STEP 3
In a large saucepan, fry the pancetta or bacon until golden. Stir in the fresh oregano leaves or dried oregano, then add the beef stew and heat through. Tip into an ovenproof dish and top with the cheesy potatoes, overlapping. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and bake for 20 mins until golden and crisp on top. Serve with a green salad.