Italian apricot fool
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Takes 30-40 minutes, plus cooling
- Serves 6
- 500g ripe fresh apricots , halved and stoned
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 140g golden caster sugar
- 3 tbsp Cointreau or other orange flavoured liqueur
- 500g carton mascarpone
- 142ml carton double cream
- 18 amaretti biscuits , plus extra to serve
- STEP 1
Put the apricot halves in a saucepan with the lemon zest and juice and the sugar. Shake the pan to combine, then simmer, uncovered, over a medium heat until the apricots are soft. This should take about 10-15 minutes.
- STEP 2
Tip the contents of the pan into a blender or food processor and whizz to a purée. Decant into a bowl, stir in the liqueur and leave to cool – about 20-30 minutes.
- STEP 3
Soften the mascarpone in its tub by whisking it vigorously with a fork. Whip the cream in a bowl – you want it softly whipped not stiff. Fold in the mascarpone with a large metal spoon, then lightly swirl in the apricot purée to make a pattern.
- STEP 4
Spoon the mixture into six wine glasses. (At this point, they’ll keep in the fridge for up to a day.) To serve, crumble over the amaretti, with a few on the side for dunking.