Indian sweet potato & dhal pies
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Spiced red lentil dhal is topped with creamy sweet potato mash in these individual vegetarian pies - a cheap weeknight dinner option
- 650g sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 onion , halved and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots , scrubbed, halved and sliced lengthways
- 15g ginger , finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves , finely grated
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 85g red lentils
- good handful coriander , chopped, plus sprigs to serve
- generous spoonful 0% fat Greek-style yogurt
- broccoli , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Place the sweet potato in a pan of boiling water and cook for 15 mins, or until tender.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion and carrot, for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring for 1 min more. Tip in the curry powder, stir round the pan then add 750ml of the boiling water with the stock cube, tomato purée and lentils. Cover the pan and boil for 20 mins until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the chopped coriander.
- STEP 3
When the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain and mash them with the yogurt and seasoning.
- STEP 4
Spoon the lentil mix into one big or two individual dishes then top with the sweet potato mixture, scatter with the coriander and serve with broccoli, if you like.