Hot & sour aubergine
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus soaking
- Serves 2
- 1 large aubergine , or 2 medium, cut into long batons
- 100g green beans , trimmed and halved
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion , cut into thick half-moons
- 1 red chilli , halved, deseeded and thinly sliced
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Chinese black vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour dissolved in 2 tbsp water
- cooked rice , to serve
- STEP 1
Put the aubergine in a bowl of lightly salted water and stand for 30 mins to soften. Drain and pat dry. Blanch the green beans in boiling water for 1 min then drain, rinse in cold water and drain again.
- STEP 2
To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- STEP 3
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium-high heat. When hot, cook the aubergine pieces until nicely browned on all sides – don’t turn them too early, let them get a nice colour first. When they start to brown, add the onion and chilli, and keep stir-frying for 4 mins or until soft.
- STEP 4
Add the sauce and green beans, cover with a lid, lower the heat and simmer for 2 mins or until the aubergine is soft. Serve with rice.