Hot smoked salmon with new potatoes & watercress
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
A great low-calorie meal for two, that's rich in omega-3, vitamin C and fibre, packed with spring flavours
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 tbsp white wine or rice wine vinegar
- 200g baby new potatoes or Jersey royals, halved if large
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 ½ tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp freshly grated horseradish , or from a jar
- 100g fine green beans , trimmed
- 1 small sweet red apple , cored and sliced
- 2 hot smoked salmon fillets (about 300g/11oz), skin removed, broken into pieces
- 100g watercress , roughly chopped
- STEP 1
In a large bowl, toss the onion with half the white wine vinegar and some salt. Set aside.
- STEP 2
Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water until tender. Drain well and put back in the pan to steam-dry for a few mins. Tip into the bowl with the onion and gently toss together so that the potatoes absorb the vinegar. Season and leave to cool.
- STEP 3
In a small bowl, mix together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, remaining vinegar and the horseradish. Add some salt and fresh ground pepper, and mix well. Toss the potatoes in the mixture.
- STEP 4
Boil the beans for 1 min in salted water, drain, rinse in cold water and dry. Divide the potatoes between two plates and top with the apple slices, beans, salmon and a large handful of watercress.