- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced into half moons
- 1 tbsp white wine or rice wine vinegar
- 200g baby new potatoes or Jersey royals, halved if large
New potatoes have thin, wispy skins and a crisp, waxy texture. They are young potatoes and…
- 2 tbsp buttermilk
- 1 ½ tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp freshly grated horseradish, or from a jar
- 100g fine green beans, trimmed
- 1 small sweet red apple, cored and sliced
- 2 hot smoked salmon fillets (about 300g/11oz), skin removed, broken into pieces
- 100g watercress, roughly chopped
With deep green leaves, and crisp, paler stems, watercress is related to mustard and is one of…
In a large bowl, toss the onion with half the white wine vinegar and some salt. Set aside.
Boil the potatoes in a pan of salted water until tender. Drain well and put back in the pan to steam-dry for a few mins. Tip into the bowl with the onion and gently toss together so that the potatoes absorb the vinegar. Season and leave to cool.
In a small bowl, mix together the buttermilk, mayonnaise, remaining vinegar and the horseradish. Add some salt and fresh ground pepper, and mix well. Toss the potatoes in the mixture.
Boil the beans for 1 min in salted water, drain, rinse in cold water and dry. Divide the potatoes between two plates and top with the apple slices, beans, salmon and a large handful of watercress.