Herby orzo & lemon salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4-6
Make this summery orzo salad packed with herbs and lemon for a seasonal side. Leftovers make a great lunch the next day
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , finely grated
- ½ tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 350g orzo
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large lemon , juiced
- 1 small bunch of basil , finely chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley , finely chopped
- 2 tbsp capers , drained and rinsed
- 50g flaked almonds , lightly toasted
- STEP 1
Heat the olive oil and butter in a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, and fry the onion for 10-15 mins, or until golden and caramelised. Add the garlic and sugar and cook for a further 3 mins. Season to taste.
- STEP 2
Cook the orzo following pack instructions. Drain, then toss with a little of the extra virgin olive oil and leave to cool completely. Whisk the remaining oil with the lemon juice and set aside.
- STEP 3
Toss the orzo with the sticky onion and garlic, the lemony dressing, herbs and capers, along with half the toasted almonds. Season. Spoon onto a sharing plate and top with the rest of the almonds. Will keep in the fridge for up to three days.