Herby fish fingers
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 25-35 mins
- Serves 4
- 50g crustless stale white bread
- finely grated zest of a large lemon
- 2 tbsp each roughly chopped fresh dill , fresh chives and fresh parsley
- 500g skinless lemon sole fillets
- 2 tbsp seasoned flour
- 1 egg , beaten
- vegetable oil , for shallow frying
- STEP 1
Pulse the bread to coarse crumbs in the food processor. Add the lemon zest, herbs and a pinch of salt, and pulse to make bright green, fine breadcrumbs.
- STEP 2
Cut the lemon sole into thick strips, about 3 x 10cm. Dust each fish piece with the fl our, shake off any excess, then dip into the egg then the breadcrumbs. At this stage, they can be cooked straight away, kept in the fridge for a few hours, or frozen.
- STEP 3
To serve, heat about 1cm of oil in a large frying pan. Once it’s nice and hot, fry the fish fingers a few at a time for 1-2 mins on each side. Drain on kitchen paper, and keep warm while you continue with the rest. When they are all cooked, serve straight away with the oven-roasted chips and tartare sauce.