Herb & spice paneer fritters
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12
These Indian cheese fritters make a tasty starter, or serve as a main with rice and fresh veg
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 227g pack paneer (Indian cooking cheese, available from supermarkets and Asian grocers), coarsely grated
- handful coriander sprigs, stems and leaves finely chopped
- handful mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion , finely chopped
- thumb-size piece ginger , grated
- 2 garlic cloves , finely grated or crushed
- 2 eggs , beaten
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- sunflower oil , for frying
- lemon wedges and sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- STEP 1
Toast the cumin seeds in a large, non-stick frying pan for about 1 min, shaking the pan until a shade darker, taking care not to burn. Remove from the heat and place the seeds in a mixing bowl.
- STEP 2
Add everything else, except the oil, lemon and chilli sauce, to the bowl. Season well and mix very thoroughly. Using wet hands, take walnut-size handfuls of the mixture, then press into flat little cakes, like fish cakes or patties. They can now be chilled until ready to cook, or cooked straight away.
- STEP 3
Reheat the pan over a medium flame and add enough oil to cover the base of the pan. When hot, add the fritters, cook until golden underneath, then turn over and cook until golden all over. Be careful as they may splutter slightly. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm as you cook batches. Serve with lemon wedges and sweet chilli sauce.