Hearty winter veg soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 swede , peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 large carrots , peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 sprigs thyme , leaves removed and roughly chopped
- 850ml vegetable stock
- 500ml semi-skimmed milk
- 2 x 410g cans mixed beans in water, drained
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, then gently soften the garlic without colouring. Tip in the swede, carrots and two-thirds of the thyme, then pour in the stock and milk. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 mins.
- STEP 2
Ladle a third of the soup into a blender, whizz until smooth, then pour back into the pan along with the beans. Check for seasoning, then return to the heat and warm through. Serve sprinkled with the remaining thyme and some warm, crusty bread rolls.