- 1 tsp olive oil
- 200g lamb neck fillet, trimmed of fat and cut into small pieces
- ½ large onion , finely chopped
- 50g pearl barley
- 600g mixed root vegetable (we used potato, parsnip and swede, cubed)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ¾ 1 litre lamb or beef stock
- 1 thyme sprig
- 100g green bean (frozen are fine), finely chopped
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Season the lamb, then fry for a few mins until browned. Add the onion and barley, then gently fry for 1 min. Add the veg, cook for 2 more mins, then add the Worcestershire sauce, stock and thyme. Cover, then simmer for 20 mins.
- STEP 2
When everything is cooked, spoon about a quarter of the soup into a separate pan. Purée with a stick blender (or put into a normal blender and whizz), then stir it back into the rest of the soup. Add the green beans, simmer for 3 mins, then ladle the soup into bowls and serve with granary bread.