Halloumi aubergine burgers with harissa relish
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 20 mins
- Serves 4
- 2 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions , very finely sliced
- ½ aubergine , cut into 8 round slices
- 250g block halloumi cheese , cut into 8 slices
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 roasted red pepper from a jar, chopped
- 2 tsp harissa
- 4 ciabatta rolls, halved and lightly toasted
- 4 tbsp hummus
- STEP 1
Add 1 tbsp of the oil to a pan and tip in the onions. Cook over a high heat for a few mins, then turn down the heat and cook until soft and golden – about 8 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat another tbsp of oil and fry the aubergine for a few mins on each side until tender. Set aside. In the remaining oil, fry the halloumi until golden.
- STEP 3
Tip the brown sugar, pepper and harissa into the onions. Cook for 1 min until the sugar has melted. While the relish is cooking, spread the rolls with hummus, laying halloumi and aubergine slices on top. Spoon the sticky, spicy relish over and serve.