Gujarati cabbage with coconut & potato
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This superhealthy, stir-fried side makes a tasty vegetarian supper served with rice and dhal
- 500g Charlotte or other new potato , unpeeled and halved
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida (available from Bart or steenbergs.co.uk, see tip)
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chillies
- 1 fresh red or green chilli , deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 pointed (sweetheart) cabbage , finely shredded
- juice ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp desiccated or shaved fresh coconut , toasted
- bunch of coriander , roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Cook potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water for 10 mins until tender. Drain well and return to pan. Lightly crush with the back of a fork, just to break, not to mash.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and then add the asafoetida, spices and dried chillies. Cook for a few mins until the spices pop and the chillies darken.
- STEP 3
Add the fresh chilli, cabbage and some salt and stir-fry for 3-4 mins. Add the warm potatoes to the pan and cook for 2-3 mins more until the cabbage is tender, but still has some bite. Stir in the lemon juice, coconut and coriander, and serve.