- Preparation and cooking time
- makes 8 (4 for now, 4 for the freezer)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions , finely chopped
- 250g bag spinach
- 5 slices white bread , blitzed into breadcrumbs (or 150g dried breadcrumbs)
- good grating of fresh nutmeg
- 100g mature cheddar , grated
- 40g parmesan , finely grated
- 1-2 large eggs , beaten
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- 6 crusty bread rolls
- 4 ripe, juicy tomatoes , thickly sliced
- good-quality ketchup or other relish
- sweet potato fries (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat half the oil in a frying pan and gently fry the onions for about 10 mins until pale and soft, then leave to cool a little.
- STEP 2
Finely chop the spinach in a food processor and tip into a bowl. Add the cooled onion, breadcrumbs, nutmeg, cheddar and Parmesan, and mash together. Add the beaten egg, a little at a time (you may not need all of it), until the mixture holds together. Divide into eight (see tip below) and shape into fat burgers.
- STEP 3
Put the flour in a shallow bowl, season well and dip the burgers into the flour to coat. Store in a plastic container between layers of baking parchment. Either chill until ready to cook, or freeze.
- STEP 4
Heat the remaining oil in the frying pan and fry for about 5 mins each side until browned all over. Serve in the crusty rolls, with a couple of slices of tomato, ketchup and sweet potato fries on the side, if you like.