Golden-glazed carrot, mushroom & hazelnut tart
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 3 carrots , peeled and cut in half lengthways, or about 10 baby carrots left whole
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 15 x 12cm rectangle of all-butter puff pastry from a 320g roll
- 1 banana shallot or 2 normal shallots, very finely diced
- small knob of butter
- 140g chestnut mushroom , very finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped roasted hazelnut , plus a little extra to garnish
- 3 tbsp low-fat cream cheese
- a few tarragon leaves, chopped, plus a few leaves to garnish
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Pop the carrots in a pan of boiling water and cook for 4-5 mins until tender. Spread the carrots out in one layer on a baking tray. Carefully toss with olive oil, seasoning and half the maple syrup. Bake for 20 mins, turning once.
- STEP 2
Next, place the pastry rectangle on a baking parchment-lined baking sheet. Score a 1cm border. Prick the centre area with a fork and put in the oven for 12 mins with the carrots.
- STEP 3
Fry the shallot in butter until totally soft, then stir through the mushrooms. Fry for several mins until mushrooms are tender and the mixture is dry. Spread out on a plate to cool. Whizz a third of the mushroom mixture with the nuts, cream cheese, tarragon and seasoning, so you have a coarse texture. Tip into a bowl and stir through the remaining mushroom mix.
- STEP 4
Remove the pastry base from the oven and gently press down the centre area with the back of a spoon. Spread the mushroom mix inside and lay the glazed carrots on top. You may need to tuck the ends round to fit the carrots in. Drizzle over the remaining maple syrup and bake for a further 12-15 mins until the pastry is golden. Sprinkle with a few tarragon leaves and some more chopped nuts to serve.