- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 200g firm tofu, chopped into small chunks
- 250g cooked potatoes (leftover roast potatoes work well), chopped into chunks
The world's favourite root vegetable, the potato comes in innumerable varieties. A member of…
- 3 eggs
The ultimate convenience food, eggs are powerhouses of nutrition, packed with protein and a…
- 100g green beans, halved lengthways
- 250g Chinese cabbage, finely shredded
- ½ cucumber (or 1 baby cucumber), thinly sliced
- 100g beansprouts
Widely seen as a major, somehow magic, ingredient, beansprouts…
- 1 carrot, shredded
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- handful coriander, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- handful prawn crackers
There are thousands of different species of prawn, but tiger, king and North Atlantic are the…
- 4 tbsp crispy onions
For the peanut dressing
- 50g peanut butter
- 3 tbsp kecap manis (or 2 ½ tbsp soy sauce and ½ tbsp honey)
- 2 tsp shrimp paste or dried crayfish
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
A seasoning often used in Vietnamese and Thai cooking. In Vietnam it is usually made from shrimp…
- 1 tbsp soft dark brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 fat red chillies ( I like Scotch bonnets - use only 1 if you don't like it too spicy), finely chopped
- 150ml coconut milk
- juice 1 lime
The same shape, but smaller than…
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and boil a small saucepan of water. Fry the tofu for a few mins each side until brown and crispy, then transfer to a plate. Add the potatoes to the frying pan and cook for a few mins until they are warmed through and starting to crisp, then tip onto the same plate and set aside to cool.
Add the eggs to the boiling water and cook for 7 mins, then plunge them straight into cold water. Fill the saucepan with fresh water, bring to the boil and add the beans. Cook for 2-3 mins until just tender. Drain and run under cold water until cool.
To make the peanut dressing, put the peanut butter and kecap manis in a bowl and mash together with a fork until smooth and combined. Whisk in the remaining ingredients.
Put the tofu, potatoes, beans, cabbage, cucumber, beansprouts, carrot and coriander in a large bowl or arrange on a platter. Drizzle over half the dressing, reserving the rest for people to help themselves. Break the prawn crackers in your hands and scatter over. Peel and quarter the eggs, and serve on top with the crispy onions. Toss together just before serving.