- 500g granary, strong, wholemeal or white bread flour
- 7g sachet fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for the flowerpots
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- a little milk or oil, for brushing
One of the most widely used ingredients, milk is often referred to as a 'complete' food…
Plus any of these toppings
- 1 tbsp pumpkin, sunflower, sesame or poppy seed
- 4 tbsp grated cheddar or crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped rosemary, thyme, oregano, chives or basil
Most closely associated with Mediterranean cooking but also very prevalent in Asian food, the…
- 1 tbsp chopped olive or sundried tomatoes
Widely grown all over the Mediterranean, where they've been cultivated since biblical times…
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
You will also need
- 5 small, clean clay flowerpots (see tip below), baking parchment and cling film
Tip the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl. Pour in 300ml warm water, the olive oil and honey. Mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture clumps together, then tip out onto a work surface. Use your hands to stretch and knead the dough for about 10 mins, or until it’s smooth and springy. Add a little extra flour if the dough feels too sticky.
Brush the flowerpots with oil and line the sides with baking parchment. Divide the dough into 5 pieces and shape into smooth balls. Place one ball of dough into each flowerpot and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place for 1 hr to rise.
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. When the dough has doubled in size, remove the cling film from the pots and gently brush with a little milk or oil. Sprinkle with your choice of topping.
Place the pots on a baking tray in the oven and cook for 20-25 mins until risen and golden. The pots will be very hot, so be careful when removing from the oven. Leave to cool for 10 mins before turning out and eating.
FlowerpotsClay flowerpots need to be treated to stop the bread from sticking. To do this, generously brush the pots with oil or butter and bake at 200C/180C fan/gas 5 for 1 hr. Remove from the oven, wash in hot soapy water, then dry before using.