Fish pies with smoked salmon, prawns & dill
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 8
For the filling
- 1 litre milk
- 65g butter
- 65g plain flour
- bunch spring onions , green and whites separated and both very finely chopped
- 3 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringues - see 'Goes well with', below)
- 3 tbsp dill , chopped
- 120g pack smoked salmon trimmings (I used the budget range)
- 2 x 400g packs frozen basa or pollock fillets, thawed, patted dry, cut into chunks
- 190g pack cooked, peeled prawn , thawed if frozen and patted dry
For the potato topping
- 2 ¼kg potato , peeled, cut into chunks
- 50g butter
- 100ml milk
- STEP 1
Boil the potatoes in salted water for 20 mins until tender. Drain, then mash with the green from the onion, the butter, milk and plenty of seasoning until smooth and lump-free.
- STEP 2
Pour the milk into a pan and add the butter and flour. Cook over a medium heat, whisking until the sauce is bubbling and thickened. Stir in the white parts of the onion, then bubble again for a min. Cool for about 5 mins, stirring frequently, then add the egg yolks, dill and smoked salmon. Season to taste.
- STEP 3
Divide the pollock between 8 x 300ml pie dishes or ramekins. Scatter over the prawns, stir then spoon over the smoked salmon sauce. Top each pie with mash, then cover and chill until ready to cook. They will keep in the fridge overnight.
- STEP 4
Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Put the pies on baking sheets, then bake for 30 mins until bubbling and starting to turn golden. Serve with the broccoli (below).