Eggless chocolate & beetroot blitz & bake cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus cooling
- Serves 10 - 12
- 100ml rapeseed oil , plus extra for greasing
- 175g (drained weight) vacuum-packed beetroot (not in vinegar)
- 175g dark soft brown sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 50g cocoa powder
- 200g 0% fat natural yogurt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing
- 100g icing sugar
- 50g dark chocolate (at least 80% cocoa solids)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp skimmed milk
- dark chocolate shavings, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a deep 20cm springform cake tin with baking parchment. Tip the beetroot into a food processor and whizz to a purée. Add the remaining ingredients, along with ¼ tsp salt, and blend until well combined. Scrape into the cake tin, level the surface and bake for 50 mins-1 hr or until a skewer comes out clean.
- STEP 2
Leave the cake to cool in the tin while you make the icing. Put the ingredients in a small saucepan, heat and whisk until smooth. Cool for 20 mins.
- STEP 3
Flip the cake onto a wire rack, flat-side up. Pour over the icing and leave to cool completely. Sprinkle with dark chocolate shavings (if using), then serve.