Creamy lentil & veggie curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Swap in different veg to this family-friendly curry, or add a can of chickpeas to make it chunkier. Kids can take it to school in a wide-necked thermos
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp Madras curry powder
- 200g red lentils
- 2 sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into cubes
- 1l veg stock
- 400g canned peeled cherry tomatoes
- 200g green beans , trimmed and cut into short lengths
- 4 tbsp Greek yogurt plus more for the top if you like
- ½ small bunch coriander , chopped
- ¼ cucumber , finely chopped (optional)
- naan bread and rice to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onion for a few mins until softened. Add the spices and cook for 1 min, then stir in the lentils, sweet potatoes, stock and the cherry tomatoes.
- STEP 2
Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 mins until the lentils and sweet potatoes are tender. Add the beans and cook for 2 mins then stir in the yogurt and some seasoning. Sprinkle over the coriander and chopped cucumber if using and serve with naan bread and rice.
HOW TO MAKE CURRIED LENTIL SOUP
You can add more stock to this and blend it to make a soup if you like.