Creamy kale & chicken traybake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 4
A one-pan supper with bacon-wrapped, succulent chicken breasts and a garlicky, mascarpone stuffing. This everyday recipe is 3 of your 5-a-day and rich in fibre, folate and vitamin C
- 100g curly kale , finely chopped
- 1 lemon , 1/2 zested, 1/2 cut into wedges
- 4 tbsp mascarpone
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 4 skinless chicken breasts
- 12 rashers smoked, streaky bacon
- 500g parsnips , peeled and cut into batons
- 2 red onions , halved and cut into wedges, roots left intact
- 500g sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into thin discs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the kale for 4 mins until tender. Rinse under cold water, squeeze dry with your hands, then whizz in a food processor with the lemon zest, mascarpone, garlic and seasoning.
- STEP 2
Cut a long slit in the side of each chicken breast, open it up and stuff with the creamy kale. Gently stretch each rasher of bacon and wrap three around each chicken breast.
- STEP 3
Toss the vegetables with the oil on a baking tray. Nestle the chicken on top, season and bake for 20-25 mins (depending on the size of the breasts), giving the veg a stir halfway through. Check the chicken is cooked, then place on a plate to rest, covered with foil. Cook the veg for 10 mins more, then serve with the chicken and lemon wedges.