Chilli crab & cherry tomato linguine
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large shallot , finely chopped, or 100g frozen chopped onion
- 2 fat garlic cloves , crushed, or 1 tbsp crushed garlic paste
- 1 small red chilli , deseeded and chopped or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 43g can dressed crab
- 400g can cherry tomatoes in juice
- pinch of sugar
- 50ml single or double cream (optional)
- 200g linguine
- 170g can crabmeat chunks in brine, drained
- handful parsley or basil, leaves only, roughly chopped (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and boil the kettle for the pasta. Add the shallot to the oil and gently sizzle for 5 mins until soft. Add the garlic and chilli, and cook for another 1-2 mins.
- STEP 2
Tip the kettle of hot water into a large pan, add the pasta and cook following pack instructions. Meanwhile, add the dressed crab to the frying pan. Drain the tomatoes over a bowl and tip the juice into the pan. Add the sugar, cream (if using) and some seasoning. Bubble gently while the pasta cooks.
- STEP 3
Just before the pasta is finished, add the cherry tomatoes and crabmeat chunks to the pan, stir for 1-2 mins, then drain the pasta (reserve a little pasta water) and add this too. Cook everything for another min, adding a splash of pasta water if the sauce looks dry, then season to taste. Stir through the herbs, if you like, and serve.