- Preparation and cooking time
- plus overnight soaking
- Serves 6
- 500g pack of dried chickpeas
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 banana shallot , quartered lengthways
- 1 red chilli , deseeded and halved lengthways
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 250ml white wine
- 1.3l vegetable stock (we used Marigold bouillon)
- extra virgin olive oil , to serve
- STEP 1
In a large bowl, cover the chickpeas with cold water and soak overnight. The next day, drain and rinse well.
- STEP 2
Tip the chickpeas into a large pan with all the other ingredients except the olive oil. Bring to the boil, then leave to simmer for 1 hr-1 hr 10 mins until the chickpeas are tender but not mushy.
- STEP 3
Remove the bay leaves and rosemary sprigs. Working in batches, blitz the chickpeas in a food processor along with their cooking liquid and the shallot until smooth.
- STEP 4
Reheat the mash if necessary and serve sharing-style with a generous drizzle of olive oil and some cracked black pepper on top.