Chicken & kumquat salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus poaching
- Serves 6 - 8
This seasonal salad is super zingy and fresh. Use finely chopped lemon peel if you can't find kumquats
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 large slices sourdough bread , cut into cubes
- 200g Tenderstem broccoli , cut into small pieces
- 10 kumquats , thinly sliced and seeds removed (see tip)
- 10 radishes , cut into quarters
- 1 small red onion , thinly sliced into half moons
- 100g feta , crumbled
- 50g toasted almonds with skins, roughly chopped
- small pack chives , snipped
- 4 tbsp light olive oil or groundnut oil
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- 1 lemon , zested and juiced
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- STEP 1
Bring two pans of water to the boil. Add the chicken breasts to one and cook for 2 mins. Turn off the heat, put a lid on top and leave to sit for 30 mins. Put the broccoli pieces in the other pan, cook for 2 mins, then drain and transfer immediately to a bowl of cold water. This will help it to retain its colour and bite.
- STEP 2
While the chicken is poaching, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the bread cubes on a baking tray and cook for 10-12 mins until golden, then remove and leave to cool. Can be made a day ahead and stored in a container.
- STEP 3
Put the dressing ingredients with 1 tsp salt in a jar with a lid. Shake well and set aside. Can be made a day ahead. Put the kumquats, broccoli, radishes, onion, feta, almonds and chives into a serving bowl.
- STEP 4
When the chicken is done, remove from the water, leave to cool for 5 mins, then shred into chunky pieces and add to the salad. Just before serving, pour the dressing over and mix well.