Charred corn, chicken & tortilla salad with chipotle yogurt dressing
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus at least a few hrs marinating, cooling and chilling
- Serves 4-6
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika , plus ½ tsp
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp chipotle paste , plus 1 tsp
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 limes , 1 zested and juiced, 1 cut into wedges to serve
- 3 tbsp olive oil , plus extra for brushing and frying
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 150g natural yogurt
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 corns on the cob , husks removed if needed
- 2 Little Gem lettuces , halved through the core, leaves pulled apart and torn
- 400g can black beans , drained, rinsed and drained again
- 200g cherry tomatoes , halved
- 2 avocados , stoned, peeled, halved and cut into chunks
- 2 corn tortilla wraps
- small bunch of coriander , leaves picked and roughly chopped
- STEP 1
Mix 1 tbsp paprika, the oregano, 1 tbsp chipotle, cinnamon, garlic, lime zest and 2 tbsp oil together in a bowl with some seasoning. Pour over the chicken thighs, turning to coat, then cover and chill for at least a few hours, or up to 24 hrs.
- STEP 2
Light the barbecue and let the flames die down, or heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Mix the yogurt, lime juice, the remaining oil, ½ tsp paprika, 1 tsp chipotle and the honey with a pinch of salt. Set aside. Brush the corn cobs with a little oil, then cook it and the marinated chicken on the barbecue or in the griddle pan for about 10 mins, turning often until the chicken is cooked through (it should be charred and firm to the touch – check it’s done by cutting into one of the thickest pieces) and the corn is bright yellow and juicy.
- STEP 3
Transfer the chicken and corn to a board or plate and cover to keep warm. Arrange the lettuce, beans, tomatoes and avocado on a large platter or in a serving bowl, but wait to toss together until just before serving – this helps keep the lettuce leaves from wilting.
- STEP 4
Cut the wraps into strips or small pieces. Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan and fry the strips until crisp and golden, then drain on kitchen paper. Sprinkle with salt.
- STEP 5
Slice the cooked chicken into 1cm strips and cut the charred corn from the cob. Add to the salad, then drizzle over the dressing and any juice from the chicken and toss. Scatter over the coriander and crispy tortilla strips, and serve with the lime wedges on the side.