Chana masala (chickpea curry) with spinach
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 400g can chickpeas , drained
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 medium onion , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , finely chopped
- 1cm piece ginger , peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 400g can whole plum tomato
- juice ½ lemon
- 220g bag baby spinach
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 75g quick-cook brown basmati rice
- STEP 1
Heat a large non-stick pan and dry-fry the cumin seeds for 1 min, stirring often, while they pop. Remove and set aside. Cook the rice following pack instructions.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil using the same large pan, add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli, and sauté over a medium heat for about 3 mins. Reduce the heat, add all the spices, stir well and cook for a further 2 mins.
- STEP 3
Add the tomatoes, stirring, and use the side of a spoon to break them up into smaller bite-sized chunks.
- STEP 4
Add the chickpeas and 200ml water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins.
- STEP 5
Stir in the lemon juice and spinach. Let the spinach wilt, then remove the pan from the heat.
- STEP 6
Divide the rice between 2 bowls, and serve the curry. (The flavours intensify as it cools, so for a fuller flavour, make earlier in the day and reheat slowly prior to serving.)