Cheesy turkey Milanese
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Coat turkey steaks with breadcrumbs, then grill with mozzarella, and serve with spaghetti in tomato sauce for a cheap Italian-inspired meal
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 100g fresh or dried breadcrumbs
- 4 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- 4 turkey steaks, about 500g in total, thinned out with a rolling pin if very thick
- 3 fat garlic cloves , crushed
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- small bunch basil , leaves picked
- 125g ball mozzarella , drained and sliced, or a handful of another good melting cheese such as cheddar or Gruyère
- 350g spaghetti
- STEP 1
Put the flour in a bowl with a little seasoning, beat the egg in another bowl with a splash of water. Tip the breadcrumbs and rosemary into another bowl, drizzle over 1 tbsp oil and rub together with your fingers until the breadcrumbs are a little moist. Dip the turkey steaks into the flour, dust off the excess, then dip in the egg followed by the breadcrumbs, pressing to help them stick. Put on a plate and chill while you prepare the sauce.
- STEP 2
Heat the remaining oil in a large pan. Add the garlic and sizzle for 30 secs, then add the tomatoes. Season and bubble for 15 mins until the sauce is thick, adding a pinch of sugar if the taste is too sharp. While the sauce cooks, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6, put the turkey steaks on a baking tray and bake for 10 mins, then remove from the oven, top with mozzarella slices and return to the oven for another 5 mins, until the turkey is cooked through and the cheese has melted.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti following pack instructions. Drain, then toss through the tomato sauce. Divide between plates and top with a turkey steak and a generous scattering of basil leaves.