Cardamom-spiced vermicelli (semiya payasam)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 10 green cardamom pods, seeds removed
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 litre whole milk
- 75g ghee
- 75g fine vermicelli, roughly crushed
- 100g jaggery or light muscovado sugar
- 250ml coconut milk
- 50g raisins, soaked in hot water for 10 mins then drained
- 50g cashews, fried until golden in 1 tsp ghee
- STEP 1
Pound the cardamom seeds to a powder with the caster sugar using a pestle and mortar. Tip into a saucepan with the milk and bring to a boil over a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 2
Heat the ghee in a wok or karahi over a medium heat and fry the vermicelli for 3-5 mins, stirring continuously, until they darken.
- STEP 3
Pour the boiling milk over the vermicelli and continue simmering, stirring all the time, for 5 mins or until it thickens. Stir in the jaggery or muscovado sugar and cook for a further 2-3 mins.
- STEP 4
Whisk the coconut milk to break up any lumps and pour it into the pan. Bring up to a simmer, then stir in the raisins. Spoon into small bowls and scatter over the fried cashews before serving immediately.