- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 2 (serves 4)
This healthy, comforting veggie bake is topped with cheesy potato slices and packs in all 5 of your 5-a-day, along with calcium, vitamin C, iron and fibre
- 700g medium potatoes (about 6), thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp milk
- 85g mature cheddar , finely grated
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 onions (320g), finely chopped
- 4 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 aubergines , cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers (540g), deseeded and chopped
- 30g pack basil , leaves picked and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves , finely grated
- 10 Kalamata olives , pitted and halved
- 2 tsp capers
- ⅓ x 30g pack flat-leaf parsley , chopped
- 320g broccoli florets
- STEP 1
Heat the grill to high. Boil the potato slices for 10 mins, then drain, tip into a bowl (don’t worry if they break up a little) and add the milk and half the cheese. Mix together.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion until softened. Spoon in the balsamic vinegar and bouillon powder, then stir in the tomatoes, aubergine, peppers, basil and garlic. Cover and cook for 20 mins, stirring frequently and adding a little water if necessary, until the aubergine is tender when tested with a knife.
- STEP 3
Remove from the heat and stir in the olives, capers and parsley. Tip into two shallow baking dishes. Cover with the potatoes and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- STEP 4
If you are following our Healthy Diet Plan, grill the one you are eating now until golden. While it’s grilling, steam or boil half the broccoli to serve with the bake. To reheat on the second day, heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 and bake for 30-40 mins until bubbling and golden. Cook the remaining broccoli to serve with it.
SIGN UP TO OUR HEALTHY DIET PLAN
This recipe is part of our free Healthy Diet Plan. Sign up today and we’ll send you seven days of triple-tested, nutritionally-optimised recipes, plus expert tips to help you look and feel your very best!