- Preparation and cooking time
- plus marinating
- Serves 2
- 450g very thinly sliced beef bulgogi meat (sold at Asian supermarkets), or sirloin
- 3 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 small unpeeled firm but ripe pear , grated (optional)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 garlic cloves , grated or crushed
- 1 ½ tsp grated ginger
- 1 ½ tbsp roasted crushed sesame seeds
- 1 small onion , thinly sliced
- 4 white button mushrooms , sliced
- 1 small carrot , julienned or chopped into fine matchsticks (see tip)
- 4 chives , snipped
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- STEP 1
In a shallow dish, combine the beef, sugar and pear (if using) thoroughly, and leave to sit for 30 mins at room temperature. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the soy sauce, sesame oil, 1 tbsp of the vegetable oil, the garlic, ginger and sesame seeds to make a marinade, and set aside.
- STEP 2
When the beef is ready, squeeze out any excess sugary liquid, then add the beef to the marinade. Toss to coat, cover and marinate at room temperature for 30 mins. Can be marinated for longer, or left overnight in the fridge.
- STEP 3
In a large frying pan or wok, heat the remaining vegetable oil over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 6-8 mins until softened. Add the mushrooms and carrots, and cook for 5 mins until slightly softened. Raise the heat to medium-high, add the beef and marinade, and cook for 4-5 mins, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned. Transfer to a platter and sprinkle with the chives and sesame seeds.