Boulanger potatoes with bacon
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 100g butter , plus extra for greasing
- 100g smoked bacon , cut into lardons
- 2kg large potatoes , thinly sliced (a mandolin is ideal)
- 300g white onions , finely sliced
- 500ml fresh chicken stock
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and grease a large casserole dish. Melt the butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Toss in the bacon and season really well. Cook until golden and crisp, about 5 mins.
- STEP 2
In a large bowl, gently mix the potatoes with the onions, bacon and some more seasoning. Spoon the mixture into the prepared dish and pat it all down, pouring over the stock.
- STEP 3
Bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hr 45 mins, covering the potatoes after an hour to stop them getting too dark. You should be able to push a knife through the potatoes with little resistance when the dish is cooked.