- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- drizzle of oil
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 500g beef mince
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- a few oregano sprigs, leaves picked, or 1 tbsp dried
- 1 beef stock cube
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 4 peppers (mixed colours are nice)
- 100g grated mozzarella or cheddar
- small bunch basil , leaves picked
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for a few mins to soften. Add the garlic and beef, and cook until the meat is browned – break it up with a spoon as it cooks. Add the tomatoes, oregano, stock cube and ketchup. Season well, give everything a good stir and cover with a lid. Simmer for 30 mins.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, halve the peppers and scoop out the seeds and white membrane. Place cut-side up in a roasting tin, season and bake for 20 mins.
- STEP 3
When the mince is cooked, divide it between the softened peppers. Return to the oven for 10 mins, sprinkled with cheese. Scatter with basil leaves before serving.