- 2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
If you want a light alternative to other cooking oils, rapeseed is a great choice and has…
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- zest 2 limes, then 1 juiced, the other cut into wedges to serve
The same shape, but smaller than…
- 396g pack tofu, halved through the centre, then chopped into small chunks
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 x 200g pouches cooked brown rice
- 2 small ripe avocados, halved, stoned, peeled and chopped
Although it's technically a fruit, the mild-flavoured avocado is used as a vegetable. Native…
- small bunch coriander, leaves only
- 1 red chilli, thinly sliced (optional)
Heat the grill to High. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan, add the onion and cook, stirring, for 5 mins or so until soft. Add the garlic and sizzle for 30 secs more, then stir in the cumin and black beans. Cook for 5 mins until the beans start to pop and are hot through. Stir through the lime zest and juice, and season.
While the beans cook, put the tofu in a bowl and gently toss through the remaining oil, the paprika and some seasoning. Line a baking tray with foil and arrange the tofu on top. Cook under the grill for 5 mins each side until charred all over.
Heat the rice following pack instructions, then divide between bowls. Top with the beans, tofu, avocado, coriander and a wedge of lime. Add a few slices of chilli too, if you like it spicy.
Make it meatySwap the tofu for some smoky chunks of chorizo – slice 50g per person, removing the papery skin, and sizzle in a frying pan until the juices run into the pan. If your chorizo is spicy, you may want to serve the dish with a blob of soured cream to temper the heat.