BBQ pulled pork
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes enough for 16 buns with leftovers
- 2 ½kg boneless pork shoulder, skin removed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Spanish paprika (pimentón)
- 2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp onion salt
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke (optional, see tip, below)
- 16 brioche buns (see 'goes well with')
- Tangy cabbage slaw, homemade chipotle molasses BBQ sauce (see recipes in 'goes well with') and sweet-and-sour pickled cucumbers from a jar, sliced
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Rub the pork with 2 tbsp of the olive oil. Heat a large non-stick pan until very hot and sear the pork on all sides until golden brown.
- STEP 2
Place the meat on a wire rack in a roasting tin. Mix the paprika, mustard powder, garlic and onion salt, and some black pepper with the liquid smoke, if using. Brush all over the meat.
- STEP 3
Add 1 cup of water to the roasting tin, cover very tightly with foil and cook for 5 hrs or until almost falling apart.
- STEP 4
Drain the juices from the meat into a measuring jug. Shred the pork using 2 forks, discarding the fat.
- STEP 5
Skim off the fat from the juices. Mix 125ml of the juices with 4 tbsp BBQ sauce (see recipe in 'goes well with') and pour over the meat. Keep warm until serving, or reheat.
- STEP 6
To assemble, pile the meat into the halved brioche buns, spoon over the BBQ sauce, top with coleslaw and pickles, and sandwich together.