Aubergine & chickpea stew
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- plus overnight soaking
- Serves 4-6
- 200g dried chickpeas, soaked for 6-8 hours
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve (optional)
- 2 onions, finely sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp baharat
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, stalks finely chopped, leaves roughly chopped, to serve
- 3 medium aubergines, sliced into 2cm rounds
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 50g pine nuts, toasted, to serve
- pitta breads or flatbreads, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Drain the chickpeas and bring to the boil in a pan of salted water. Cook for 10 mins, then drain.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the onions for 10 mins, or until beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic, baharat and cinnamon and cook for 1 min. Tip the onion mixture into a slow cooker and add the chickpeas, parsley stalks, aubergines, tomatoes and a can of water. Season. Cover and cook on high for 2 hrs, then turn the heat to low and cook for 6-8 hrs more until the mixture has reduced slightly and the chickpeas and aubergines are really tender.
- STEP 3
Stir in the lemon juice, then scatter over the pine nuts and parsley leaves. Drizzle over some extra olive oil and serve with pitta breads or flatbreads, if you like.