Asparagus & courgette fritters with fresh tomato & ginger chutney
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 16
- vegetable oil , for frying
- 250g fine asparagus , cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 large courgettes , cut into matchsticks
- 140g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 large egg
- 100ml sparkling water
For the chutney
- 50ml white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- thumb-sized piece ginger , finely chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes , finely chopped
- STEP 1
Heat enough oil to come 2.5cm up the side of a large, deep frying pan. Put the asparagus and courgettes in a large bowl. Whisk the remaining ingredients together to make a batter. Pour it over the vegetables with some seasoning, then mix.
- STEP 2
Use a large spoon to drop bhaji-sized spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot oil – you’ll have to do this in batches. Cook for 3 mins, until golden brown, then flip over and cook for another 2 mins. Drain on kitchen paper. Leave to cool before packing into containers.
- STEP 3
To make the chutney, pour the vinegar and sugar into a saucepan and put over a medium heat to dissolve the sugar. Add the ginger and tomatoes, then turn up the heat and boil for 10 mins until thickened. Cool completely before storing in a tub.