- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ small red onion, finely chopped
- 200g new potatoes, boiled, peeled and halved
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- 400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp tomato purée
- 1cm piece of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ small bunch of coriander, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ green chilli, thinly sliced, to garnish
- basmati rice, naan or chapatis, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 7 mins until beginning to soften. Turn the heat up to high, tip in the potatoes and fry for 3 mins until the potatoes are starting to colour. Add the garlic, ginger paste, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, chilli powder and a pinch of salt. Mix well, then stir in 100ml water.
- STEP 2
Gently stir in the chickpeas and tomato purée. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 mins to reduce the liquid a little. Season, then stir in the fresh ginger and half the coriander. Taste for seasoning.
- STEP 3
Sprinkle over the garam masala, chilli and remaining coriander leaves, then serve in bowls.