Couscous and Mackerel
Member recipe by insabordination
A nice way of using up odds and end leftovers from your fridge and cupboard.
- For the Couscous:
- 1 Tablespoon of Rapeseed Oil
- 50g couscous
- 1/2 Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 smallish Teespoon of Harissa Paste
- 150ml Chicken Stock
- 6 small Tomatoes, halved
- Feta Cheese to taste, cubed
- A Handful of Spinach
- A few squeezes of Lime to taste
- Salt and Pepper
- For the Topping:
- 1 can of Mackerel Fillets in Tomato Sauce
- Fry the the finely chopped onions in the oil until softened. Next, add the Harissa Paste and stir around for about 30 seconds, then add the Couscous, Salt and Pepper and stir well.
- Add the Chicken Stock and let simmer on the smallest setting until all the water has been absorbed, then add the Tomatoes. Stir and leave for another 2 Minutes, then add the Spinach and cover.
- In the meantime, heat the Grill and place the Mackerel with sauce into a dish or Aluminium Foil and add Pepper to taste. Place under the Grill until nice and warm and starting to bubble.
- Squeeze some Lime Juice onto the Couscous and give it another good stir, then add the Feta Cheese Cubes and mix it all together. Put onto a plate and top with the Mackerel and Tomato Juice.
- P.S. This recipe is for 1, so it's easy to multiply these ingredients depending on how many people you cook for.