Maria's Vegie Nasi Goreng
Member recipe by mumlig
- 300g brown long grain rice
- 3 tbsp oil ( olive or sunflower)
- 1 large onion peeled and cut into very thin rings
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 3 good cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thinly
- 4 small red chilllies, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 larger green chillie, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 2.5cm- piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 300g carrots, roughly grated
- 200g bean sprouts
- 150g frozen mixed peas, green beans and sweet corn
- 1 good tbsp paprika
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- Rinse the rice in plenty of cold water. Add to a saucepan with 1 pint of cold water. Bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, add a lid and cook about 10/15 mins until liquid has been absorbed and the rice is cooked. Fork through the grains and leave to one side.
- Heat the oil in a large wok or frying pan. Cook the onion ringson a medium heat until crisp. Remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper. These wil be used for the garnish.
- In the same pan and using the remaining oil, cook the second onion. When softened, add the chillies , ginger and garlic. Cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the grated carrots, bean sprouts, peas etc. Stir through. Add the paprika and stir through. cook for about 3 mins.
- Next is to add the cooked rice and stir through the vegetables. Keep stiring until everything is mixed well.
- Next, stir the tomato ketchup and soy sauce together with the water and add to the rice and vegetables. Cook over a medium heat for about 5 mins. Serve with the onion rings on the top.