Member recipe by erniebees
These gorgeous plain scones are creamy and a lovely treat for tea time. Best with jam/butter and should make round about 9!
- 225g / 9oz plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50g / 2oz butter
- 25g / 1oz caster sugar
- 150ml milk
- 1 medium egg
- Preheat oven to 450°F / 230°C / gas 8 and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar. Add all the milk and mix lightly into a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and knead briefly. Do not overwork the dough or your scones will be tough!
- Roll the dough out to 1.25cm / 1/2 in thickness and cut out rounds.
- Place on the greased baking tray. Brush the tops with beaten egg and bake for 7-10 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack!