Roast Leg of Welsh Lamb
Member recipe by 1laurawatts
The ultimate family favourite using the very best: Welsh Lamb. Easy to follow recipe and succulent flavours ensure the best results for your sit down feast.
- Welsh Lamb leg joint, allow 175-350g (6-12oz) per person
- 450g (1lb) lamb or beef sausages, slit skins and remove meat
- 90ml (6tbsp) gin
- 45ml (3tbsp) cranberry sauce
- 4 small red onions
- 5ml (1tsp) butter
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Weigh joint and calculate cooking time. Line a roasting pan with 2 sheets of foil & place the lamb leg onto the foil. Mix together the gin & cranberry jelly and spoon this over the lamb. Scrunch the foil around the joint, but leave the top exposed.
- Baste occasionally during cooking.
- Cut the onions in half horizontally (stalk at top) and using a spoon scoop out some of the layers leaving 2-3 in the shell.
- Roughly chop the removed onion. In a pan heat butter and lightly fry onion.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Add the rosemary and sausage meat and combine together.
- Take a handful of mixture and stuff into onion shells. Prop up around the joint, drizzle with a little olive oil and cook for 40-50 minutes until onion soft and fully golden. Rest the joint for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with roasted potatoes, baked onions, seasonal vegetables and cranberry gin meat juices.