Sausage and Bean casserole
Member recipe by emmaporter10
- 150ml/5fl oz Italian olive oil
- 8 Italian pork sausages (available in most supermarkets or good delis)
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in quarters
- 1 tsp finely chopped dried chilli
- 4 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 x 400g/14oz tinned borlotti beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 400g/14oz tinned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- salt to taste
- 400ml/14fl oz boiling water
- 20 cherry tomatoes, halved
- For the casserole, in a large saucepan, heat the olive oil until hot. Shallow fry the sausages, rosemary, garlic and the chilli for one minute.
- Add the carrots and celery and fry for a further three minutes
- Add the borlotti and cannellini beans and season with salt.
- Add the boiling water, cover with a lid and leave to simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, remove the sausages and cut into three pieces. Place the sausages back in the casserole with the cherry tomatoes and carry on cooking without the lid on a low heat for another 10 minutes allowing the sauce to thicken.