Member recipe by bronwenfay
- 1kg minced/ground lamb (or you can use beef)
- 1 pack of penne (depends on thickness though)
- 6 eggs
- 2 litres milk
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 cups grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp cinnamo
- 2 tbsp nutmeg
- 2 small cans tomato paste
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Start cooking the pasta. While pasta is cooking, separate meat in a skillet or shallow pan. When a little brown, add 1 to 2 cans of tomato paste. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg and cinnamon; and a little water to help cook if necessary.
- While the meat is cooking start on the crema (bechamel style sauce). Mix the eggs with the milk in large pot. Add in 1 cup of flour and whisk constantly until it thickens and all lumps are gone. Add the remaining flour at 1/4 cup at a time if needed (the mixture will be very thick). Turn heat to low and continue stirring constantly. Once lumps are gone and the consistency is correct, add the butter and 1 cup of the parmesan, and stir in.
- Drain the pasta and mix in about one and a half cups of the crema and 3/4 cup of the remaining parmesan. Put half of the pasta mixture into a greased 9x13 dish (if you have a deeper or larger one I would use that). Layer meat on top of noodles. Add remaining pasta on top of the meat and then spread all of the crema on top. Sprinkle with remaining parmesan.
- Bake at 170C/fan for 45-50 minutes or until top is slightly brown and let it cool 15 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with a small Greek or Italian salad and enjoy!