Mom's Coffee Cake
Member recipe by russ29
- 2 heaped tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in 100ml water
- 170g castor sugar
- 170g self raising flour
- 170g butter
- 3 x large eggs
- I tsp Baking powder
- 200g butter
- 2-300g icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 150c (fan) and Line/butter cake tins
- Sponge Process all ingredients together
- Beat in 1 tbsp of the coffee mixture and then add up to another tbsp little by little until the mixture drops easily off the spoon. Keep the rest of the coffee mixture for the icing.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the 2 tins , level the top and bake for 40 minutes (check after 30) or until a skewer comes out cleanly. Then cool.
- Cream Make sure coffee mixture is cooled before adding to butter
- Beat the butter until soft and then beat in 200g icing sugar followed by the remaining coffee mixture, little by little. Stop when you have a depth of colour and flavour that you like. If the icing looks a little soft, beat in extra icing sugar.