Sweet Potato and Kale Soup
Member recipe by alzillah
This sweet, creamy soup is power-packed with nutrients: beta-carotene from the sweet potatoes; calcium minerals, and fiber from the kale. It is strengthening for both the spleen and liver.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 medium (about 2 pounds) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 branches of fresh thyme
- Sea salt
- 1 bunch kale, chopped in 1-inch strips
- In a large saucepan warm the olive oil over medium heat. SautÃÂÃÂ© onion, shallot, carrots and celery until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, bay leaf, thyme, and enough water to cover by 1 inch.
- Bring soup to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf and thyme branches and puree the soup with a vertical blender. Add sea salt and kale, cover, and cook an additional 10 minutes.