Bacon, Egg & Spinach Pie
Member recipe by sophie_lou
- For the shortcrust pastry
- 250g plain flour
- 150g butter- cubed
- 1 egg yolk
- a drop of water
- For the filling
- 450g spinach
- 6 rashers bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 eggs, beaten, plus 1 egg for egg wash
- a knob of Butter
- Process the flour and butter together until you have a crumb consistency (a few seconds should do it). Add the water and egg yolk and process again until it combines. Use your hands to work it into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and let it rest in the fridge for 30mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/fan 160/ gas 4.
- Wilt the spinach in a frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of water, this should only take a minute or so. Drain and squeeze all the green juices from the spinach- you want this to be as dry as you can make it.
- Cook the bacon and onion together until they are both golden. Combine this lovely mixture with the spinach in a large bowl. Add in your eggs and swirl the mixture together adding a generous pinch of salt and pepper
- Get the pastry from the fridge. Roll 2/3 of the pastry out on to a floured surface, line a 23cm fluted pie dish with the pastry and cut of any excess. Brush a little of the egg wash around the side of the pastry.
- Roll out the remaining pastry out and cover your pie. Pinch the sides together to form a seal. Brush the top of the pastry with a liberal helping of egg wash.
- Pop this beauty into the oven and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until golden brown.