Kofta balls in tomato sauce
Member recipe by paulus1971
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, crushed
- 250 gr Lamb mince
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Eggs
- 50 gr Breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Ras El hanout
- 8 Green cardamom pods, split
- 50 gr Sultanas
- 2 tbsp Pine nuts, toasted
- 1 tin tomatoes, chopped
- 180 gr Couscous
- 1 tsp Cinammom (optional)
- 220 ml Hot vegetable stock or water
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- Add all the ingredients for the kofta balls together in a bowl and mix until well combined. Make small balls about the size of a walnut.
- In a frying pan heat the olive oil and gently fry the kofta balls until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to overcook them. You will add them to the sauce later, which will cook them further through.
- For the sauce, heat the olive oil in a heavy base pan and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and sultanas and fry until the sultanas become all puffy. Be careful not to burn the sultanas.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and bring to the boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for about 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the kofta balls to the sauce and heat through for a few minutes.
- For the couscous, add the couscous and spices to a bowl. Pour over the hot stock or water and cover with cling film. Leave for about 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 C.
- Add the olive oil and fluff up with a fork. Put the butter on top, cover the bowl and put in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.