Member recipe by sammyandmel
- 200g Risotto rice
- 1 litre of good quality chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 onion finely sliced
- A glug of white wine or marsala
- 25g of unsalted butter
- 25g of grated parmesan
- Put the stock in a pan and bring to a simmering boil. Blanch the asparagus spears in the stock for a couple of minutes then take out and place immediately in cold water to cool down.
- Chop the heads of the asparagus and set them to one side. with the remaining stalks chop very finely. Add the chopped asparagus and onion to a pan and fry gently for about ten minutes until the onion is soft but now coloured. Add the rice and fry on a mdium heat for a couple of minutes, turn up the heat and add the wine or marsala. Burn of the alcohol and then turn down the heat again to a medium heat.
- Start adding the stock a ladle at a time, stirring constantly and only adding more when the stock has been fully absorbed. After about 20 mins the rice should be ready, you may not need all the stock but when it is ready it should be soft but still have a little bite to until, a bit like al dente pasta.
- Add the reserved asparagus heads and heat through, then add the butter and parmesan and check for seasoning before serving.