Member recipe by campodifragole
ServingsServes 1 - 10
I love crumpets, the texuture is fantastic and the taste even better. They are delicious just with butter and even more topped with cheese melted under the grill for a few minutes.
- 3 - 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 - 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda dissolved in 1/4 cup warm water
- In a bowl stir together yeast and water. Let stand for 5-10 minutes. Add warm milk, butter, salt and sugar. Add the flour and stir until the batter become smooth. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Stir in soda dissolved in water, leave to rise 20 to 30 minutes.
- Grease griddle and heat over medium-low heat. Drop batter into crumpets rings. Reduce heat to low, cover griddle and cook crumpets until tops look dry, about 10 minutes.
- Flip them over and cook for a couple of minutes. Serve toasted with butter or with cheese melted under the grill